FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!
View Single Post
Old Jul 18, 2009, 2:18 am
TravellinHusker

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Originally Posted by gj83
How is everyone doing with currency fluctuations? The one I chose said I was guaranteed my $25 back, but other loans made it sound like if the exchange rate changes that I may not get my $25 back (which would just add a little hurdle to loaning out the next $25 but not stop it).
I've just made it kind of a personal goal that I log in once a month or so, and if I have credit from a repaid loan, I go ahead and lend it to someone else. Even if I have to add $10 or $15. I'm up to 9 loans now. Everyone is paying back, even 2 are ahead of schedule by paying more than what they were obligated to pay.

As for currency fluctuations, I mean, we're talking $25 loans here, not $25000 loans. The dollar just doesn't fluctuate wildly against worldwide currencies during the short term of these loans. At the maximum, the $ could increase by 10% over one year's time. So, you've lost $2.50. That's less than the cost of 1 latte at Starbucks. What you gained in good karma, decent humanity, and self-respect is certainly more valuable than $2.50.