FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St. Petersburg Logistics?
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2009, 6:56 am
JoelA

Programs: Delta 3MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
St. Petersburg Logistics?

We are heading to St. Petersburg in a few weeks. I wanted to pose a few logistical questions to the brain-trust on a couple topics where various searches have turned up somewhat conflicting or sketchy information:

Airport Transfers:
Is there any LED airport transfer company that folks here have actually used? There are a bunch mentioned on trip advisor but many appear to be second hand references. As any good F.T. would do, we are staying at the Marriott Courtyard burning points, so that’s where we are heading.

Rubles:
We’re a little hesitant to use cash machines – trying to keep from getting CC/debit card #’s lifted. Do many of you purchase rubles before you get there? We usually travel with USD travelers checks. Any issues in doing exchange at hotel or some of the exchange companies?

Police:
The guide books talk about police randomly stopping people for identity checks. Half of the books say carry copies of your documents, the other half of the guide books say carry the originals. Has anyone been stopped? Which did you have? What happened? Recommendations?

Tour Guides:
Finally, despite my pathological abhorrence of submitting to tours – my wife really wants to go on one. We usually walk everywhere and go through places ourselves. That said – does anyone here have good experiences and or recommendations for guides? Trip Advisor seems really focused on the cruise ship tour guides, and we’re looking to avoid that whole mass big-bus scene.

Many thanks!

Joel

Last edited by JoelA; Jul 16, 2009 at 7:06 am