FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shortest Flight With International First Class?
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:42 am
Wiirachay

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by mecabq
You couldn't easily hire a limo, as the drive goes through Saudi Arabia, so is not only much longer than the flight, but impractical. (They are planning to build a bridge from Qatar to Bahrain; maybe it will be complete in my lifetime.)

I do fly this from time to time, although not in F. I did fly Etihad F from RUH-AUH a couple of years ago, international configuration, meals, amenity kit, and all. It was a fun way to experience top-level first class for a price similar to what you are quoting for the BA flight (a bit less, actually, if I remember correctly, as I purchased Y and upgraded via an informal cash upgrade -- basically a bribe to the agent, I guess -- at the check-in counter).

These short routes can be good values. For example, Qatar Airways is offering a round-trip F fare from DOH-DXB, less than an hour flight, for QAR 2,110, or about $580, all-in. Sometimes they run an A340-600 on the route. One gets use of the premium terminal in DOH, including spa, and 32 Q-points (over 10% of the total needed to achieve top-tier status), plus at least 2,000 RDM, so for a semi-mileage run/mini-vacation, it's not the worst use of funds in the world.
So you bring up a good point about the fact that driving is difficult. Perhaps some people can fly QR just to use the spa.

And I thought it was funny flying MNL-HKG in J back on 2000 in CX. That was 2 hours and 710 miles.