FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAM Fired for Revealing Info Deemed “Sensitive” After He Revealed It
Old Jun 27, 2009, 2:35 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I guess I read this incident differently. From the limited knowledge I have it would appear that he did went directly to the media with the information rather than first make attempts to change the direction the TSA moving. Failure to attempt change before whistle blowing would seem to make the board decision and his firing reasonable.
Not exactly:

In July of 2003, the appellant received a text message on his government-issued mobile phone stating that all RON (Remain Overnight) missions up to August 9th would be cancelled. The appellant alleged that he believed that the cancellation of these missions was detrimental to public safety. He raised this concern with his supervisor. He then attempted to raise it with the Office of the Inspector General. On July 29, 2003, he disclosed the text message to the media.
--UNITED STATES OF AMERICA MERIT SYSTEMS PROTECTION BOARD
--Docket No. SF-0752-06-0611-I-2

I think he needed to find another avenue (like congress, for example) rather than the media. It looked like he only tried his supervisor and the IG before going to the media-- that seems like minimal effort at best.