FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Saying Goodbye to a friend - Travelling for the wrong reasons (LHR-PHL with UA)
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:25 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part II – London Heathrow Airport - Chicago O’Hare International

United Airlines UA929, 30/05/09
Boeing 767-300 New International Configuration, Seat 27K - Upsold to E+ ($89)
3953 miles flown, 3942 earned.
Channel 9: Not Enabled

The Pictures

Your map. Powered by http://gc.kls2.com

We were greeted aboard and directly to the back cabin of the 767, and slowly but surely, every seat on the plane filled up – in comparison to the 777, it didn’t feel full even when loaded.

Probably the best thing you'll see on a Y class flight...

The purser made his way around, and after a polite enquiry, Channel 9 was confirmed as off. A minor point, but if you’re feeling horrendously geeky it does kill a good portion of the flight.

The purser then did something quite odd… he wheeled a trolley of newspapers around the plane… … and I managed to nab a copy of Business Traveller before he scooted back to the galley (in an effort to look after the E+ customers). Interesting, and definitely, the first time that happen, so thumbs up there.

At the gate - ready for pushback.

Soon enough, it was pushback, and a trundle around to T5 , turning and then after a VS A340 landed, we took to the skies.

Obligatory A380 photo - QF again.

After taking off, we turned oblique to Heathrow, and climbed to 34,000 feet.

Probably the best way to see LHR... defiantly not IN it

Soon enough, the dreaded breakfast service commenced, with a choice of Waffle or an Omelet. Now knowing how rubbery a UA Omelet could be, I went with the Waffle – What wonders would await me….?

Brekkie.

Well… this is.. umm… Interesting! The fruit was okie (fresh as usual with apple, grape, 1 piece of melon and some orange segments if you dug hard enough). The projectiles was this wonderful mixed brown and white bread that LHR and MAN insist on supplying with meals… the yogurt was passed on, and the waffle – well I’m going be nice here – it wasn’t burnt, it was warm, the mango topping complimented the sweetness quite nicely.

So what about the Bacon. Oh dear. Even I can cook bacon better than this. Extra Rubbery and Extra Crisp sums it up (how they can do that is beyond me...).

Drinks were distributed and after a while, the cabin was cleared down, the lights switched off, and the long schlep over the pond begun.

Of course, there was near enough nothing of interest on provided IFE (except the map), so you know what happens next…

Blue Harvest … of course

The thing is, if you have a friend with an iPod Touch, who is equally dissatisfied with the crap on the IFE… they sorta get you to build a unit for them…

They’re spreading

A couple of water runs were made during the flight – with the flight itself pretty smooth until outskirts of Greenland when it went choppy for a short while, before smoothing out to sheet cloud until well over Canada and almost over US Territory.

Somewhere..
The crew was talking, and most defiantly up for a joke, which made for pleasant interaction. The seats themselves as E+ seats were fine – the legroom wasn’t as spacious as a 777, but still a lot better than down the back of the plane.

Pretty clouds..

About 2 hours before landing, it was time for that wonderful United tradition – the lovely chewable Swiss Cheese and turkey ham roll… which was a chewy as ever. The cost cutting is still in place with KP crisps still, but was acceptable.

It's that chewy roll. BMI Regulars will notice the double finger Twix

Which brings me on to the small matter of coffee. I don’t know how warm it was meant to be, but the term “tepid” seems to fit the description here. Lets just say I could drink a cup in a gulp. Not so good.

Again, the cabin was cleared down, and at that point forms were distributed (1 hour before landing). A bit late IMO as time to fill in the 2 miles of paperwork that the US demands when you enter the country does take time to fill out.

Slowly, the plane begin its decent, as was buffeted as it flew over Lake Michigan, before finally touching down. The plane begun its trundle to the “wonderful” International terminal, where we pulled into gate M12 on schedule.

Overall: Defiantly a reasonable flight - if for the customers service by the Purser. If I was really to pick at something - it's the paperwork issue. For people like me who make enough mistakes on an I-94(W) form, having it delivered early on in the flight would had been far more helpful than leaving it until the last minute. The food was ... interesting, however UA/Alpha/Gate Gourmet ... someone needs to introduce you in how to cook bacon...

Last edited by Kevincm; Aug 13, 2010 at 9:52 pm