FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread
Old Jan 1, 2002, 11:48 am
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Well, the impact of the PowerPoint show has astonished me -- and kind of blown my cover. We honestly didn't expect more than a couple dozen people to see it. But my Hotmail account is jammed full. I have about 1500 to 1600 emails. If you adopt the one-percent rule that's an article of faith in talk radio (e.g., fewer than one percent of listeners ever attempt to phone the show), that suggests that maybe 150,000 people have seen the PowerPoint.

While I'm not facilitating any further distribution of the file -- enough is enough -- I thought I'd post the FAQ here that I send out to those who get in touch with me.

---

Thanks for the contact and the friendly words. I have been stunned at the circulation this little PowerPoint file has received. I’ve heard from more than 1500 amused, sympathetic hospitality professionals, marketing/PR people, business school professors... you name it. Because of the high number of people who have tracked me down, I'm ashamed to have to resort to "canned" language -- but here are fast answers to the most-asked questions.

Is this for real?

Yup. Although "Night Clerk Mike's" real first name is a slight variation on "Mike" -- also with four letters, also starting with "M" -- this was an absolutely authentic response to a real service incident. To people who call, the hotel in question is saying nobody named "Mike" works there. But what kinds of nuts would invent a complaint filled with so many specifics -- and put their real names on it?

Who are you guys?

We are two directors of a web design/information consultancy in the Pacific Northwest. We've left our firm's name out of this.

Why did you spread it all over the Internet?

In truth, we sent it initially to the hotel; two clients/friends in downtown Houston, and Shane's mother-in-law. That was it. Yes, the last screen says: “And we hope they send it to THEIR friends!” Call us naïve, but we figured that meant perhaps twenty or thirty people. We never dreamed it would get passed around like this. Trust us. We had NO IDEA. Various website postings, including the one at urban legend clearinghouse snopes.com, were done by others without our permission or approval.

Can I have a copy of the presentation?

Uh, no. Given how far it's gone, we've decided not to facilitate any further distribution of the show, in hard copies or electronically. We think we've made our point.

Can I use the presentation in training classes?

We've had numerous requests to save and show the presentation to business school students, hotel and airline trainees, etc. as an example of customer relations gone horribly wrong. OK, but we have two requirements: please go into the file and alter, "X" out, or delete the names of the Doubletree Club managers that appear on the first page... and our e-mail address, which appears on the last page. We are beginning to think that even Night Clerk Mike and his bosses may have suffered enough -- and don't deserve to be forever synonymous with bad service. Also, we're already getting more email than we can handle gracefully. Thanks.

How far has it gone?

Well, now that the Maldive Islands have checked in, we've heard from six continents. Most hospitality professionals seem amused and sympathetic (though one former hotel manager suggested we get psychological counseling). We have had a few stern lectures from fellow road warriors/"civilians", though, who explain how out of line we were to expect our "guaranteed" rooms held for us. About 2 percent of correspondents call us jerks and worse.

What has the hotel done?

Both a Hilton brand manager and the GM of the Doubletree Club Houston have called to apologize. They are very aware, at both levels, that the PowerPoint has by now been seen by thousands. The Doubletree Club apparently is getting enough phone inquiries to interfere with business (so don't call). They are saying there's no "Mike," but confirming that the incident occurred and that they're changing training policies. Doubletree’s brand director has sent us a list of actions taken at both the hotel and corporate levels to improve employee training and overbooking policies.

Are you seeking publicity?

Quite the opposite. We've turned down numerous interview requests. The WSJ ran a short blurb December 14 without our cooperation and based on second-hand information; it contains several inaccuracies. Canada’s National Post newspaper ran a long piece December 16 based solely on information in this “canned” email, not on direct contact. We hope Hilton Corporate will see that we're more focused on improving service culture than doing damage in public. We do think this would make an interesting viral marketing case study, but that's further down the road. We're only communicating with people who've taken the time to contact us.

Or goodies?

No. A couple of competing chains have offered us gift certificates, which is nice of them, but we've politely refused. Without our asking, Hilton's Director of Guest Assistance sent us each certificates for two free room nights at any Doubletree. Given that we did not set out to pry free stuff out of the company, we're sending 'em back.

Earlier, when the Doubletree Club GM asked what we wanted in the way of compensation for our negative experience, we agreed that a donation to Houston's Toys for Tots campaign in the hotel's name would be nice instead. The hotel, Doubletree corporate HQ and Hilton Guest Services are each making sizable contributions.

With so many people now apparently getting copies of the show, I'd like to try to extend that impulse. If you got a laugh out of it, perhaps you could kick the price of a Doubletree Hotel club sandwich toward any holiday charity of your choice in the name of Night Clerk Mike. Maybe even notify the Doubletree Club in Houston that you've done so. Their address is 2828 Southwest Freeway, Houston TX 77098. If you forwarded the PowerPoint to friends, we'd be grateful if you chased it with this follow-up request.

So... what's it all mean?

Hopefully, that while $#!@& happens, service matters -- and hand-to-hand email has power. We urge you not to draw conclusions about the whole Doubletree brand on the basis of our little complaint. Every hospitality brand has good properties and awful ones. (Thanks for so many great personal horror stories, by the way.) But we do urge travelers to be bold when they get the short end of the stick. Perhaps, now that "Yours Is a Very Bad Hotel" has attracted attention in corporate offices of many hospitality providers, managers and customers alike will be a little more aware of the power customers wield.

Have a great holiday and thanks for getting in touch.

(Bear X220)