FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So I'm 17 and will be flying by myself....
Old May 28, 2009, 12:31 am
monie_17

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Just tell them you're under 18; I think you should be fine.

If they give you grief, just show them your school ID.

I did a lot of domestic travel on my own at 16-17 including trips with multiple connections without problem.

I wouldn't sweat it or worry about it - enjoy your trip!

SDF_Traveler

P.S. See if your parents can get you added as an "additional cardholder" on one of their accounts, so that you have a major credit card with your name on it for emergencies. Chances are you won't need it, but you never know. --- If not, see if you can get a debit card with the Visa or MasterCard logo. I believe PayPal provides student debit cards and it is funded by the money in your PayPal account. It's always a good idea to have a card if some type just in case you mis-connect / flight gets canceled and you need a hotel room for the night.
Thanks for your response. It seems like there is some paperwork, and I need to be dropped off by my parents and be picked up by someone who is an adult in my destination if I let my airline know that I'm an unaccompanied minor. Can I get away with buying the ticket like an adult by not letting the airline know that I'm an unaccompanied minor, and tell TSO that I'm a minor (which I am) so that I can avoid all that paperwork and the hassle of being picked up by an adult in the destination.