FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis to start charging for miles over 150
Old May 21, 2009, 1:33 pm
ctuttle

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
This really isn't that surprising with all the mergers of the rental companies. While unlimited miles is the standard now, years ago in the 80s I think it was National who was the first to go to unlimited mileage. I remember they had an unlimited rate or a lowball rate that charged 20 cents a mile or something. Depending on how much you were driving the metered rate could be a lot cheaper.

The rental companies also used to be 75, 100, or 150 miles per day.

I'm guessing this is more of a revenue enhancement ploy. Since there are fewer players in the rental car business- National/Alamo/Enterprise, Avis/Budget it will be easier to get them all to have uniform policies. They will probably still offer the unlimited miles, and if you have a contract rate this will be something to negotiate.

You will still be able to get cars with unlimited miles, but you might have to switch companies or get a contract rate, it will just take a little bit of homework.

There are some cities that have never given unlimited miles on rental. I remember a few years ago we could not get unlimited miles even on our contract rate in Des Moines, Iowa. I don't know if this is still the case because I haven't been there in a while, but I remember there was always a limit, something like 150 miles, or there was a mileage charge.