FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Madrid Bullfights
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2009, 11:39 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brj8826
We certainly want a good seat with a good view, away from all of the Penas (i think those are the rowdies),
This is the only part I'll offer an opinion on as I actually believe you may well have a much better time within the areas typically filled by the peņas. It is unlikely that you will appreciate the finer points of a bullfight at a first visit and by going to an area full of po faced cognoscenti (or other monied but clueless visitors) there would be little interaction with those around you.

The so called 'rowdies' are the heart and soul of the fights. You should think of them as social clubs, most well organised, many with their own club buildings or associated bars. These tend to be the people who get together, raise subscriptions, fund charities and keep many of Spain's celebrated festivals alive as well as offering facilities and opportunities for the aged and the very young.

They know how to have fun, they know how to appreciate skilled bullfighting, and if anyone is going to take you under their wing, explain a little about the fight or share wine from a leather 'bota' with you it would be a peņa member. 'Rowdies' indeed!