FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE: Westin Camporeal Golf & Spa Resort, Portugal [Master Thread]
Old May 18, 2009, 6:38 am
nswat

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Smile What a fantastic place

I have to say I went there with mixed feelings after having read the opening threads, and the lack of posts thereafter. I was afraid that I had picked one of "those " hotels. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

Send this hotel to the Freddie's. Immaculate, clean, everything works, staff fall over backwards to help you out, irrespective of status.

Room:

Upgraded to Duplex suite. Large Master bedroom and Master Bathroom on the top floor, facing the golf course. LCD Flat screen tv, a bath that could have doubled as a swimming pool seperate walk in shower, full range of amenities.
Downstairs was the living room, with another lcd tv, a tabler with a couple of chairs, a large couch, another closet, and the half bathroom, with Toilet and walk in Shower. The couch could have been pulled out as a double bed.
In the rooms was a Nespresso machine with 6 complimentary Nespresso pots per day for use.

Golf Course

Challenging 18 Hole course. 6000 yards plays about 6600 due to its hilly nature. Buggies, electric trolleys, and pull carts available for hire. Greenfees €50 but well worth it. as the course is in immaculate condition.(double cut fairways etc.)

SPA - My wife has an extremely stressful job, and after a few days pampering, she was completely relaxed and energized... I think thats the highest compliment I can give a spa. I had a brief look, again, clean well designed relaxing harmonious atmosphere.

So was there anything wrong with the place? well actually there was. The food!

The Breakfast was in Buffet form. Nothing wrong with that. Freshly squeezed OJ fruit, cereals actually everything, but the egggs were cold every day! This was not only the scrambled eggs, but also the fried eggs. The restaurant as a whole was well staffed, they were polite, and worked hard, But I think the chef needs changing. We also tried the evening buffet, that was just sub standard for a Westin property. Then we tried a la carte, and again, something you expect from a diner in the boondocks but not from a 5 star property. On the day that I mentioned this to the front desk, the temperature settings on the dishwarmer was changed from 2 to 4, but only for that one time. The next day it was back to normal, cold.

But there is good news 2 villages away there is a fantastic restaurant, their road sign is opposite the entrance tot eh westin front gate, Quinta dos something(The restaurant is part of a vineyard). Very reasonably priced, main course rqanging from 12 to 18 Euros. The Duck is certainly a hit, as is the fish pasta, and the octopus. We ended up eating there twice.

A note of warning in portugal every restaurant puts bread, butter, cheese olives, cured ham etc on the table before you have even ordered. These are charged extra and can cost up to 10 euros for a tiny plate of cured ham. Best to tell the waitwer to take it away, unless you like eating all those starters.

All in all a fantastic holiday, which we enhanced each day after the golf with cultural and sightseeing tours. We had a hire car for those, and that is well worth it, especially the GPS.

Aside from the restaurant, I loved this place and would even with the restaurant issue recommend it highly^