FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QF - Economy on LAX-SYD - What to Expect?
Old May 13, 2009, 9:34 am
kmfdm91

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
QF - Economy on LAX-SYD - What to Expect?

All,

First off - I looked throughout these pages and couldn't find any thread that was similar, so I figured I'd start one. My apologies if there is already one floating around that has this type of discussion. Point me there and I'll gladly read

Now - I'm curious on a quick comparison between what to expect on a TransPacific flight from LAX-SYD on QF (on the A380), and coming back: MEL-AKL-LAX on QF (on a 747)...

I have flown this route a few times on UA, but since there is a lot of competition on the route now (Delta, V Australia, and of course UA & QF), the cheapest option for my flights looks to be QF.

From looking at the website, it seems like the trip in QF should be nice - and I'd get more service in QF compared to UA. For starters, I'm a UA 1K and a AA PLT...but i'm looking for the cheapest fare on any carrier, so the 1K doesn't get me far when I'm booking a non-upgradable fare on UA.

That said, how does these compare (to other carriers on this route):
1. Service in Flight (Are Alcoholic Beverages complementary?)
2. Seating Arrangement (on both A380 & 747?)
3. Seat Pitch/Entertainment
+ Anything Else?

My last flight on UA from SYD-LAX wasn't great - the seating wasn't great (E+ was the only bright spot), the [alcoholic] drinks were free - but they aren't anymore, Entertainment is a joke and the service was pretty bad. So, if I'm used to that, will I really enjoy QF?

Thanks in advance!!!

-jeremy