FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - talk to me... 5 hours in SJO. What to do?
Old May 3, 2009, 4:04 am
Martinis at 8

If you haven't been therefore, I would give you two quick options for sightseeing:

1. To get a flavor for the real Costa Rica, as opposed to metropolitan Costa Rica, get in a cab and have him take you up to the town of Zarcero. You can take a quick ride up there via the main highway and take the Naranjo turnoff to Zarcero, or you can take the more scenic route beginning in Alajuela. The Alajuela route will take you Alajuela-Grecia-Sarchi-Zarcero. Then take the hiqhway route back so you are in time for the flight, or do this in reverse order. You can see Alajeula from the airport (red domed cathedral off in the distance). Lots of picture taking in these towns, especially Zarcero which I regard as a treasure.

2. For metropolitan Costa Rica take a cab to the Teatro Nacional, quick tour of that, and then walk up to the old military fort that is now the Museo Nacional. You can walk around that area to get a feel for the city. Some of the older homes in that area have been preserved and converted to B&B. Not as nice as it used to be. Just get a map of the central area there and walk around.