FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott: Hold on credit card from check-in???
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:17 am
waltinsocal

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by geo1005
I understand it is common practice for a hotel to put a hold on the credit card you use at check-in to cover estimated expenses.

We checked into the Marriott BRU last Fri (4/25) for two nights. At check-out (4/27) we gave them a different card to cover the expenses for our stay. That card has been charged the appropriate amount for the stay. It's now 4/30 and the card we used for check-in still has a "hold" for about 150% of the amount of our stay. It's a "hold" and not a cleared charge posted to the account.

How long does this hold stick around??? Should I be concerned and contact the hotel via email for a correction???

Thanks!
I have found that these holds usually drop off in 3-5 business days. And I will take opportunity to comment on these holds. No one disputes the right of a property to authorize an additional sum above the room cost to cover any incidental charges. What is lacking is transparency as to the amount. The following is a true story as related by one of my best friends. She checked in a Marriott in Europe for a 7 day stay. Without telling her, the property authorized an additional $100 per night, a total of $700, for incidentals. I realize that for a lot of people on this board that the additional $700 might have been peanuts, but for my friend it wasn't. It basically locked up $700 for the rest of her trip when she had counted on something like a $100 deposit. And before anyone says anything, my friend is not someone who travels a lot, and did not think to inquire at checkin about the hold amount, as if it would have made any difference. I have found the European Marriott properties to be the worst about the hold amount policy, and for the most part not a single hotel tells you what amount they are authorizing as a hold before they do it. They simply run your card and your money is tied up. So a word to the wise, if the hold amount matters to you, especially if you are on a week stay like my friend was, inquire in advance what amount the hotel plans to hold so you don't have an unpleasant surprise. Email the property in advance, email Marriott customer service in advance, or whatever to get a firm answer as to what is going to be held at a given property.