FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:54 am
pmocek

TSA re: airport photography policies: Albuquerque International Sunport (ABQ)

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 17:33:02 -0400
Subject: FW: Got Feedback : Albuquerque International Sunport Airport (ABQ)
To: Phil Mocek
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>

Phil,

There aren't any state or city laws/ordinances that prohibit photography in the public areas of the airport. However, it is advisable to contact the Airport's Public Affairs Officer Dan Jiron at djiron%AT%cabq.gov or by telephone at 505.244.7780.

If you wish to film at or near the TSA checkpoint, advance coordination would need to be made with Maggie Santiago at Maggie.santiago%AT%dhs.gov or by telephone at 505.246.4106.

Sincerely,

Susanne Spencer
Transportation Security Administration
Albuquerque, NM
Desk: 505-246-4131
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:40:28 -0700
Subject: Re: FW: Got Feedback : Albuquerque International Sunport Airport
(ABQ)
To: Susanne Spencer - TSA <Susanne.Spencer%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you, Ms. Spencer, for your response.

Why would advance coordination with Ms. Santiago be required in order to film at or near the TSA checkpoint? I'm not aware of any related TSA policies other than the one that says any photography or video recording must not interfere with TSA operations. If your local policies differ, where can I read a copy of them?

--
Phil Mocek
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:45:27 -0400
Subject: RE: FW: Got Feedback : Albuquerque International Sunport Airport(ABQ)

Phil,

We ask for advance coordination so that we can advise of and/or reinforce any restrictions for filming and shooting photos of the TSA operation. This is a local practice and not available in writing. Also, having coordinated in advance, we can advise the Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) stationed at the checkpoint and our workforce of the upcoming activity. This can make it easier on the person who is wanting to film or photograph as LEO and workforce are likely to approach and question the individual about what they are doing. Furthermore, the checkpoint area including the queue is a restricted area - just for ticketed passengers. Advance coordination would be necessary especially if the individual was not a passenger.

I hope this answers your question.

Sincerely,

Susanne Spencer
Albuquerque, NM
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 07:57:21 -0700
Subject: Re: FW: Got Feedback : Albuquerque International Sunport
Airport(ABQ)

Ms. Spencer, Wednesday, you wrote that advance coordination was required. Today, you wrote that you only ask for it. Is it a requirement or a recommendation?

Today, You wrote that a "local practice" that is not available in writing applies to the situation. How can someone ensure that he is in compliance with such a policy if he cannot read it?

Today, you wrote that advance coordination is requested so that you can "advise of and/or reinforce any restrictions for filing and shooting photos of the TSA operation." I asked you if any such restrictions exist at your airport, and I have explained that your colleague Bob Burns at TSA has published the fact that the only restriction TSA places on such activity is that it must not interfere with TSA operations. Do you have local TSA policies that supercede the national ones that Mr. Burns described?

In my case, I would not need or request assistance with any questions the law enforcement officer at the TSA checkpoint might ask. I would be under no obligation to answer, so would politely decline to do so.

Also, at this time, I am only interested in policies affecting people who are authorized to be in the location that they would be photographing or filming.

I look forward to your responses. Thank you for your continued assistance.

--
Phil Mocek
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:09:40 -0400
Subject: RE: FW: Got Feedback : Albuquerque International SunportAirport(ABQ)

Mr. Mocek,

The information I have provided to you is a recommendation. We only encourage individuals to contact TSA in advance so we can facilitate the photography.

Sincerely,

Susanne Spencer
Albuquerque, NM
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:17:03 -0700
Subject: Re: FW: Got Feedback : Albuquerque International
SunportAirport(ABQ)

So shall I disregard your statement that advance coordination is *required*?

Also, On April 10, You wrote that a "local practice" that is not available in writing applies to the situation. How can someone ensure that he is in compliance with such a policy if he cannot read it?

Do you have local TSA policies that supercede the national ones that Mr. Burns described?

--
Phil Mocek
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:20:23 -0400
Subject: RE: FW: Got Feedback : Albuquerque InternationalSunportAirport(ABQ)

Again, the information I have provided to you is a recommendation. We only encourage individuals to contact TSA in advance so we can facilitate the photography.

Susanne Spencer
Albuquerque, NM
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:24:17 -0700
Subject: Re: FW: Got Feedback : Albuquerque InternationalSunportAirport(ABQ)

I apologize for my confusion, but you first said it was required. You wrote:

> If you wish to film at or near the TSA checkpoint, advance
> coordination would need to be made with Maggie Santiago at
> Maggie.santiago%AT%dhs.gov or by telephone at 505.246.4106.

I take it that was a mistake.

Also, On April 10, You wrote that a "local practice" that is not available in writing applies to the situation. How can someone ensure that he is in compliance with such a policy if he cannot read it?

Do you have local TSA policies that supercede the national ones that Mr. Burns described?

--
Phil Mocek