FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Oz Fest #6" - Cairns Queensland - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-24, 2009
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:32 pm
Platy

PORT DOUGLAS

My advice would be to go online onto accommodation clearing site www.wotif.com.au, from which you can pick cheaper deals from 28 days out from your required dates.

Aim to stay on or close to Macrossan street - there are many unit style accommodations to choose from and you can walk anywhere from there - IMHO ignore the deals in the resort hotels (Rydges, Sheraton, etc,) sicne they are up to 4 miles out of the centre of action and it's a nuisance getting in and out of the main strip.

Beach - 4 mile beach on the south side of the peninsula, but swim in the jellyfish nets if they are up (the dime sized Irukandji jellies and imprssive box jellyfish can kill)

Shopping - a selection along Macrossan Street including supermarket in the middle

Look out - go up top the top of the hill for a spectacular lookout with views to the Daintree River, Mt Thornton, The Low Isles, etc

Drink and cheap eats - the small "tin shed" Combined Club at the back of the car park on tbhe north side has cheap bistro meals and overwater seating

Sunset hang out bar - Courthouse Hotel at north end of Macrossan Street

Restaurants- too numerous to mention, but Nautilus in Macrossan St is Bill Clinton's favourite!

After dinner fun - head to the Iron Bar towards north end of Macrossan Street, where you can partake of cane toad racing, dancing to local bands and pretend you are part of any local film production crews (Spielberg's new TV series, The Pacific just ended filming here)

Local sights - Mossman Gorge (drive west once in Mossman) for walking and swimming in the rainforest

Daintree River - on way to Cape Trib take a river cruise to see snakes, crocodiles, bird life (don't make any croc jokes, the kid of the local operator River Train got eaten by a croc earlier this year) - try to pick a low tide for most chance of crocs - if very lucky you might see an Amethystine Python (big enough to swallow a wallaby whole!)

Cape Trib - include one or two rainforest walks and the usual beach vantage points - grab a tourist map for the scenic points of interest

Anything else???

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I will be arriving in CNS Wednesday May 20: QF924 SYD-CNS 0915-1225. I am thinking of staying in the Port Douglas area Wednesday-Friday, perhaps visiting Cape Tribulation, and returning to CNS for Friday dinner. I have been to Cairns before, but not Port Douglas. I would be happy to receive advice from any Queenslanders regarding Port Douglas, and to meet any FTers who might be in Port Douglas at that time. I would like to thank our organizers for the work they have done to make OzFest #6 a success. :-: