FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Combining separately booked flights into one itinerary with Delta?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:15 am
TrojanFan

Combining separately booked flights into one itinerary with Delta?

Hi -- I'm looking to book a flight from LAX to Barcelona, Spain on Delta in early November. I need to use Delta because I have some unused travel vouchers. Delta's rates from JFK to BCN are pretty competitive (around $470) however their prices on flights from LAX to JFK are not. I'm wandering if I can purchase the JFK to BCN portion of the trip now, and wait a few weeks or months until Delta's fares on LAX to JFK come down a bit. Will Delta allow me to combine these two itineraries after the fact if they are booked separately? I'm thinking it would be beneficial to combine the itineraries so baggage will get checked through to Barcelona and in case one flight were to be delayed affecting my ability to catch the next one.

I'm also considering booking the LAX to JFK portion on Virgin America if Delta's prices don't come down. I think I assume a significant risk if I do this however -- since if the VA flight gets canceled or delayed, I could miss the Delta flight and have no recourse, yes?

Thanks for the help!