FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:33 pm
pmocek

TSA re: airport photography policies: Raleigh-Durham International (RDU)

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 16:01:02 -0400
Subject: 04.01.09 TSA RDU - Got Feedback : Mocek
To: Phil Mocek

Mr. Mocek:

Thank you for your inquiry via the TSA Got Feedback website.

The publicly accessible areas of Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) are controlled by the RDU Airport Authority. As such, these airport departments may be able to provide direction about taking photos at the airport: RDU Media Communications <http://www.rdu.com/news/mediaguide.htm> and RDU Law Enforcement <http://www.rdu.com/aboutrdu/police.htm> .

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions or need additional information.

Regards,

Amy Hatcher Humpherson
Customer Support & Quality Improvement Manager
Raleigh-Durham International Airport / Eastern NC Spoke Airports
RDU / FAY / ILM / EWN / ISO / PGV / OAJ / SOP
Transportation Security Administration
919.337.9762 office
8.5826 fax
www.tsa.gov/blog

This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain confidential and legally privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please reply immediately to the sender and delete this message.
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:15:01 -0700
Subject: Re: 04.01.09 TSA RDU - Got Feedback : Mocek
To: Amy Humpherson - TSA <Amy.Humpherson%AT%dhs.gov>
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you for your reply, Ms. Humpherson.

Yesterday, Bob Burns at TSA published information indicating that TSA does not prohibit photography of publicly-accessible areas of airports [1]. He also wrote, "while the TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances might. Your best bet is to call ahead and see what that specific airport's policy is. I suggest you use the Got Feedback program to directly contact the Customer Support Manager at the airport you're going to be traveling through. They will have an answer for you and if they don't, they can connect you with somebody who does."

[1]: <http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2009/03/can-i-take-photos-at-checkpoint-and.html>

I took his suggestion and contacted TSA via the TSA "Got Feedback?" form. You replied via e-mail. You did not refute Mr. Burns' claim, so I assume that you are in agreement. You did not mention any applicable laws, statutes, or local ordinances, so I'll assume that you are unaware of any. Please correct me if either of these assumptions is wrong.

Mr. Burns also wrote that if you at TSA's "Got Feedback?" program did not have an answer to questions related to his blog post, you could connect us with someone who does. I want to be sure I contact someone who is an authoritative source for the information.

Can you please advise me of a specific person to contact (via e-mail, postal mail, or telephone, in that order of preference) regarding the information that your colleague Bob Burns said people could get via "Got Feedback?"

--
Phil Mocek
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:02:51 -0400
Subject: RE: 04.01.09 TSA RDU - Got Feedback : Mocek
To: Phil Mocek

Mr. Mocek:

Yes, the Bob Burns' blog post regarding photography provides accurate
information.

As I mentioned in my earlier email, the RDU Airport Authority is in charge of the airport facilities so my response to you gave links to contact RDU directly for information. The Airport Authority is a governmental body responsible for the development, operation and maintenance of the airport. They would be the "subject matter experts" regarding its applicable laws, statutes, or local ordinances.

The RDU website links I had provided will give you the direct contact information to the media communications office and the law enforcement office along with general RDU contacts per your inquiry. (Also, I have listed that info below in case you had trouble accessing the links.) If this doesn't answer your questions, please give me a call so we can cut to the chase and I can better assist you.

Take care,

Amy

Amy Hatcher Humpherson
Customer Support & Quality Improvement Manager
Raleigh-Durham International Airport / Eastern NC Spoke Airports
RDU / FAY / ILM / EWN / ISO / PGV / OAJ / SOP
Transportation Security Administration
919.337.9762 office
919.388.5826 fax
www.tsa.gov/blog

This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain confidential and legally privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please reply immediately to the sender and delete this message.