FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:32 pm
pmocek

TSA re: airport photography policies: Chicago Midway International (MDW)

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:49:13 -0400
Subject: RE: Got Feedback : Chicago Midway Int'l Airport (MDW)
To: Phil Mocek
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>

Photography requests for Chicago Midway International Airport should be directed to the airport manager's office. That phone number is (773) 838-0608. They can also provide any additional information you need concerning the policies themselves.

Regards,

John Devona
Customer Support Manager
TSA - Chicago Midway International Airport
Phone: (773) 498-1308
Email: john.devona%AT%dhs.gov
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:06:03 -0700
Subject: Re: Got Feedback : Chicago Midway Int'l Airport (MDW)
To: John Devona - TSA <John.Devona%AT%dhs.gov>
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you, Mr. Devona, for confirming that TSA does not bar photography of public areas of Chicago Midway International Airport. There tends to be confusion over whether it is allowed, particularly at security checkpoints.

Can you provide an e-mail address (or alternatively, a postal mail address) for the airport manager's office? Information tends to get lost when people try to talk on the phone and take notes at the same time, and an e-mail or letter would allow staff at the office to respond to my question at their convenience.

--
Phil Mocek
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 12:48:07 -0400
Cc: "Burns, Curtis Bob" <Curtis.Burns%AT%dhs.gov>

Dear Phil,

Just for the record, I did not say that that "TSA does not bar photography of public areas of Chicago Midway International Airport." If you attempted to photograph any X-ray monitors or checkpoint operations, there is good chance that you would be stopped.

However, photography in the airport is controlled by the Department of Aviation. To contact them, you may write in care Ms. Erin O'Donnell, Managing Deputy Commissioner, Chicago Midway International Airport, 5757 S. Cicero Avenue, Chicago, IL 60638. You may also send an email to Rose Thompson (rthompson%AT%cityofchicago.org) or phone the number that I gave you previously.

Regards,

John Devona
Stakeholder / Customer Support Manager
TSA - Chicago Midway International Airport
Phone: (773) 498-1308
Email: john.devona%AT%dhs.gov
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:03:22 -0700
Subject: Re: Got Feedback : Chicago Midway Int'l Airport (MDW)
To: John Devona -TSA <John.Devona%AT%dhs.gov>
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>, Curtis Bob Burns - TSA <Curtis.Burns%AT%dhs.gov>

Mr. Devona, I apologize if it seems that I put words in your mouth; I did not intend to. I'll try to clarify.

Yesterday, Bob Burns at TSA published information indicating that TSA does not prohibit photography of publicly-accessible areas of airports. He wrote, "while the TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances might. Your best bet is to call ahead and see what that specific airport's policy is. I suggest you use the Got Feedback program to directly contact the Customer Support Manager at the airport you're going to be traveling through. They will have an answer for you and if they don't, they can connect you with somebody who does."

Upon his suggestion, I contacted TSA via TSA's "Got Feedback?" form. I later received a response from you via e-mail. You did not refute Mr. Burns' claim, so I assumed that you were in agreement. You did not mention any local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances that apply to people who wish to photograph publicly-accessible areas of your airport, so I assumed that you were unaware of any. Are my two assumptions flawed?

I understand that you are not the authority on the matter, I simply want to know what policies regarding photography and video recording in the airport you, as TSA's Customer Support Manager for Chicago Midway International Airport, are aware of.

Ms. Erin O'Donnell
Managing Deputy Commissioner
Department of Aviation
Chicago Midway International Airport
5757 S. Cicero Avenue
Chicago, IL 60638

Rose Thompson
Airport Manager's Office
Chicago Midway International Airport
rthompson%AT%cityofchicago.org
773-838-0608

--
Phil Mocek
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:10:04 -0400
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>, Curtis Bob Burns - TSA <Curtis.Burns%AT%dhs.gov>

Not a problem. I just wanted you to understand that the application and enforcement of airport photography restrictions is the responsibility of the airport authority. They would also be the experts on those policies. The names and addresses that you have are correct.

--
Phil Mocek