FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving from Germany to Czech Republic in a rental car - permitted?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:28 pm
inyourvillages

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Originally Posted by gaobest

Thanks - do you remember the cost of the highway stamp? Does this mean that once you cross the border, you have to go straight to the nearest petrol station and then buy the highway stamp?

What is CD? Is this the Czech train from the town by the Czech border to Prague?

We are also driving to Krakow after Prague, which is part of the reason for the car situation. We want a car so that we can also take daytrips within Bohemia and maybe by Krakow. But we would actually keep the car parked (hotel, etc) when in the cities of Krakow and Prague, and just walk it.

Thanks,
Michael
highway stamp: it's not so expensive, and they're sold in increments. I think a few years ago it was 100 crowns (4 euros) for 10 days. It's just a minor hassle.

Daytrips within Bohemia (and anywhere else in the Czech Republic) are also going to be pretty easy, and DEFINITELY cheaper, by train.

There are direct trains to Krakow, including a night train, so you don't miss a day traveling.

I guess if expense is no object, and you feel totally comfortable driving in places where the road signs are in another language, and you're not worried about theft (a particular concern in Poland), and if you don't mind congested cities with limited parking, and you'd rather spend your time driving than sitting in a train, renting a car for this trip would be a good idea. I'd never do it in 1000 years though.