FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Couchsurfing - have you used it?
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:25 pm
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by Enigma
Hi budget travelers.

With the number of people on this board I'd be interested to see how many have used Couchsurfing.

What is it? From the website "CouchSurfing is a worldwide network for making connections between travelers and the local communities they visit.". I consider it to be an extension or alternative to backpacking. Instead of staying in a hostel you stay on someone's couch or spare room.

It's certainly not for everyone! The advantage is that you get a more local perspective on where you are - the people, the housing, the quality of life. The disadvantage is that you might feel less secure, and that you are probably more careful to keep everyone/everything happy.

I've hosted someone from Germany once and enjoyed helping him out during his stay. And I might try and use it when in America later this year.

I'd be curious to see how FlyerTalkers, especially Americans, have found it. Did you find couches easily? Do you have any tips on the best way to find couches, handle stays, etc.? What have been your experiences?

Thanks!
I have not used couchsurfing, but I have met a number of couchsurfers in person on a trip to Bulgaria. I had been in touch with some people from a similiar organisation Hospitality Club. When I met my HC friends, they told me about Couchsurfers who were meeting in Sofia, Bulgaria while I was there. Some HC members are Couchsurfers also. A great bunch of people. Some of them will also host guests depending on their situation. In any case they will meet you and show you around. It's a greatway to make friends around the world, even if you don't find a couch. There were about 30 people at the meeting in Sofia, ocal, as well as visitors like myself, and expats living in Sofia.