FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving from Germany to Czech Republic in a rental car - permitted?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:05 am
gaobest
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by BOISJC744
I drove a car from Sixt to Prague last spring. I rented in Dresden, and after exploring the area around Dresden, I went into the Czech Republic, and took a few smaller roads to explore on the way to Prague.

I had to decline a nice upgrade in order to get a car that Sixt would allow to enter the Czech Republic.
Did you discuss this at the Sixt agency, telling them that you were driving to Czech Republic? And then they determined which car you could take? I assume this means that they have a specific list of cars that you can drive into Eastern Europe. So... what if for some whacky reason they were completely out of cars from that list? Would they have just told you that nothing was available despite having a reservation? Or were you able to specify (when making the reservation) that you would drive into Czech Republic?

Originally Posted by inyourvillages
The discount fare between Prague and Munich is 29 euros. On that line, I really like the first town in Germany, Furth-im-Wald. Depending on your day, if you got over the Czech border, you could get all the way to Prague for something like 4 euros (for two people!) on CD.

Don't know about eight hours...there are two direct trains a day between the cities and they run about 6 hours. Furth-im-Wald breaks it up almost exactly in half, if you're interested.

You need a stamp to drive on Czech highways. You can buy them at petrol stations and post offices in the Czech Republic.
Thanks - do you remember the cost of the highway stamp? Does this mean that once you cross the border, you have to go straight to the nearest petrol station and then buy the highway stamp?

What is CD? Is this the Czech train from the town by the Czech border to Prague?

We are also driving to Krakow after Prague, which is part of the reason for the car situation. We want a car so that we can also take daytrips within Bohemia and maybe by Krakow. But we would actually keep the car parked (hotel, etc) when in the cities of Krakow and Prague, and just walk it.

Thanks,
Michael