FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long Haul Commuter Run: LHR-IAD-ORD and back with UA
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:47 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part V - After 5 days in Chicago, it's turnaround time - ORD-IAD

Back to The Bunny (O'Heck, O'Riley, O'B***ger, O'Scare, O'Hare)

ORD L Station

After making sure that I was making my credit… crunch in the states, and many photographs later, it was time to head homewards.

Of course O'Hare is its usual self, but I have the joy of a BMI *G, so at least I could access the priority security lanes.

After being forced to use a chicken, my luggage was tagged all the way back to London (so no pickup was needed at IAD), so I could relax on that front.

The TSA in Chicago seem to have had a kick up the backside as they were a LOT friendlier than they have been in some time.

A dinosaur in the UA terminal - friendly bedfellows maybe?

Down the interconnect to C Gates.

Alas I had left it a bit late for the RCC’s so it was straight to the C gates and to the gate for my flight to await boarding

Quite C Gates

United Airlines 382, 10/03/09
Airbus A319-100
588 flown, 600 Earned
Channel 9: Enabled

After being on of the first aboard, judging by the amount of other preboarders, this was going to be a very quiet flight. Eventually the plane started to fill, but once again, my luck held and I had the half row next to me clear. ^. Channel 9 was available from the moment I sat at my seat ^

After a taxi past the International Terminal, and a turn, the plane took to the air, crossing over the big CN train yard, then over Lake Michigan and off to IAD. At least I presume and then off took due to the amount of cloud

See what I mean?

Due to the cloud, it was quite turbulent, with the flight deck trying different levels of flight until we finally got some clear air, at which point, the flight attendants were released to do the usual drinks run (with me partaking in the usual drinks – Coffee and a diet coke to wake up.

The usual

As the flight continued, an extra water run was carried out – quite good for such a short run.

More clouds

Eventually, we made our approach to IAD, with the flight attendants returned to seats early due to the upcoming turbulence - which was a bit buffering, but not the worse I’ve sat through, with a nice landing at IAD, followed by a taxi to D dock.

Back at IAD

I took my time getting off and thanked the flight attendants and flight deck crew for Channel 9 – and I cheekily asked if I could take a picture of the cockpit.

Instead what happened was that I had MY picture taken in the left hand chair (this picture has been removed for all the sensitivity of Flyertalk and Photoblog )

I thanked the crew again, and disembarked, with my luggage hopefully staying in transit to LHR….

Impressions

Well, when United want to shine, they can do. An excellent crew, attentive and proactive with an extra water run – and a friendly Captain and first officer afterwards. The trip to the cockpit was the icing on the cake. MAJOR thumbs up to United! ^^^

IAD … for a reason…

Now why the long layover in DC? In fact... why DC at all? I was here a couple of months ago no?

Well there is one museum I missed out on my last trip that I had to go and visit.

The National Air and Space Museum has two big branches in the DC area - one down the National Mall, and a branch at Washington Dulles Airport.

Oh. How convenient! I'm at IAD Not planned at all!

The Steven Ughar Hazey Centre – National Museum of Space and Flight.

From IAD there are two simple choices – cab or pay 50 cents for a cheap bus each way.

Well you should had guessed that one coming a mile off!

Lots of photos were taken, but it's wonderfully quiet and easy to loose yourself in with the collection of vehicles they have - the SR-71, The Shuttle Enterprise, Enola Gay and even the Air France Concorde are all awe inspiring. There's also a tower for watching planes take off and the world go by.

It's an easy way to kill a few hours.

On the way back I overheard two AA members of staff say “probably the best dollar I’ve spent in ages”.

I’d agree with that sentiment.

Next Up: Homeward.

Last edited by Kevincm; Aug 13, 2010 at 10:02 pm Reason: Formatting. I need it.