FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:25 am
LAXRuss

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
LOVETRAVELLINGOZ,

Congrats on your adventure with AMEX charges. It was a pleasure to read your post, one of the most enjoyable I have seen here on FlyerTalk. I was glad to see that AMEX was good natured and came through on the bonus.

I can understand your feeling in being sucked up into a promotion like that. It reminds me of my college days when I was pulled into a PanAm promo meant for businessmen in the Washington-New York-Boston corridor. For about $900 in the late 80's, I bought student coupon books and spent quite a few Saturdays over a six month window flying Wash-New York and then up to Boston to visit a friend and then turning around and returning the same day. All the shuttle flight segments and same day executive travel bonuses converted into four first class tickets to Europe (on three class aircraft) and a bonus certificate (for flying a minimum number of segments over a promotional period) to fly roundtrip to Europe in economy with a $400 roundtrip buy-up to business class for which I was even (likely erroneously) awarded frequent flyer mileage. I used the PanAm business class certificate which allowed multiple stopovers and then found when they went under that I had a one-time shot to redeem the PanAm miles for 4 first class translatlantic tickets on Delta before they eliminated first class on international routes--that made the perfect retirement gift for my parents, two FC trips to Europe from the U.S. West Coast. (They even collected a bunch of Tiffany jewelry store gift certificates that Delta used to offer first class international pax.)

Until now, I thought I could look back on my youth pleased that I was one of the few to recognize and take advantage of an unbelieveably rich airline promotional offer. However, I must now take my hat off to you! Obtaining 2.8 million MR points is like a lottery win-- I doubt there will be anyone anytime soon who tops your promotional accomplishment! Best wishes from a fellow Flyer Talker who is in AWE at your achievement!

Last edited by LAXRuss; Mar 4, 2009 at 6:35 am