FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Travel - Recourse for Schedule / Equipment Changes (consolidated)
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:18 am
hillrider
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I understand that the actual law where the terminology rule 240/80 does no longer exist.

However, it is a well documented fact, even on here, that AA abides by its internal policy called 240/80. Does the OP have a legal right to demand that they abide by their own rules?
240/80 is not part of the contract and OP has no legal (or otherwise) rights in this case. Under US law, you're at the mercy of the airline's unilateral 'conditions of carriage' which you had to accept by default when you purchased your ticket (whether for cash or accrued credit, a.k.a. "miles"). In AA's case, they state:
American will endeavor to carry you and your baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. American may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket. Schedules are subject to change without notice. American is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections, or to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight.
I know it sucks, but that's U.S. Congress for you.

brp is cheerfully correct. But so are you:
Originally Posted by Deltahater
All I know is that if you quote rule 240/80 you are much more likely to get what you want.