FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA & Currency Control
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:13 pm
pmocek

received OD-400-54-2 (TSA directive describing $10K as contraband)

Originally Posted by pmocek
I have submitted a FOIA request for the TSA operational directive Blogger Bob cited (OD-400-54-20, "Discovery of Contraband During the Screening Process", May 9, 2005).
Today, I received a copy of TSA operational directive 400-54-2 (300-54-20 was the wrong number) from the TSA FOIA office. It states:

May 9, 2006

Operations Directive

OD-400-54-2: Discovery of Contraband During the Screening Process

Expiration: Indefinite

Summary

This directive provides guidance to ensure nationwide consistency in the appropriate referral or initiation of civil enforcement actions for incidents involving discovery of contraband during TSA screening procedures.

Procedures

When TSA discovers contraband during the screening process that is not a TSA Prohibited Item, the matter should be referred to the local Law Enforcement Officers as appropriate. An Enforcement Investigative Report should not be initiated.
Examples of such contraband include:
  • Illegal drugs
  • Drug paraphernalia
  • Large amounts of cash ($10,000)
Point of Contact

Kimberly Siro, Office of Compliance, (571) 227-[REDACTED] (work), [REDACTED] (cell), or email to [email protected].

/s/
Jonathan J. Fleming
Chief Operating Officer
Note that Bob at the TSA blog quoted a slightly abbreviated version of this on December 31, 2008, in the comments for their "Blogger Roundtable at TSA HQ with Secretary Chertoff and Administrator Hawley" post.

I'm happy to provide a copy of the documents I received from the TSA FOIA office to anyone who wants them.

Last edited by pmocek; Feb 4, 2010 at 9:32 am Reason: fix typo: s/300-54-2/400-54-2/