FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - can new US citizen refuse to answer unreasonable questions by CBP officer at airport?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:29 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
I think I may be able to enlighten you as to what happened. It sounds like the first officer you saw, for whatever reason, doubted your identity. That would explain the referral for further examination. It would also explain why the officer would be asking you odd questions. Think about someone trying to sneak into the US on a fraudulent document. That person would likely have prepared answers to such common questions as work, home address, etc. I have to admit the firearm question confused me slightly, though.
Good point. If the OP owns a gun, chances are he has a license for it. If he drives a car, chances are it is registered. Looks like those two questions are pretty good questions that solicit additional information that would help verify one's identity.

As a naturalized citizen, fingerprints would have worked, too, and would have been faster. That is not to say that it would be good policy, but it would be easier than sticking someone in a room and asking questions.