FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suica in Kansai?
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2009, 9:16 pm
railroadtycoon

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Surutto Kansai Clarification.

Here is a clarification on Surutto Kansai as there is some confusion I'm reading here.

Surutto Kansai comes in various version. One is a PASS version as mentioned, and one is a Pre-Paid version also mentioned, so both posters are right.

Both work on most private railways, subways, and buses in the area, of course with the exception of JR.

Also Surutto Kansai isn't a IC card like Suica, but a old prepaid style card, similar to the older PASSNET system phased out, (but can still be used if you have one) in the Tokyo Region.

Surutto kansai isn't bad and will cover most of your non JR rides in the area. As mentioned it comes in various different names, such as the Miyako Card in Kyoto (its very funny because I found an old one with charge on it, just this morning before I got to this thread).

Many systems in the Kansai region are like how it was in the Tokyo region before PASMO, they are changing out of Surutto Kansai in place for prepaid system PiTaPa, however, PiTaPa is a post pay system vs. prepaid system, so pretty much impossible for someone who isn't living in Japan with a bank account to get. The good thing is, the JR variant ICOCA, will work on various PiTaPa system. But if you already have a JR pass to ride JR trains, then just getting a Surutto Kansai (pass) or prepaid card (sold at all non JR train vending machines) is your best bet.

--------
LIST OF IC CARDS IN JAPAN AND CAPABILITY
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FeliCa#...vices_in_Japan
Of course what is missing is the Surutto Kansai Card I mentioned, because it is not a IC card.

For the area, a JR Pass and a Surutto Kansai (pass or prepaid) would do you just fine.