FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suica in Kansai?
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2009, 7:48 pm
jib71

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by ksandness
Bizclassboy is right. There is a counterpart to the Suica card for the Kansai area. Its generic name is Surutto Kansai, but it is sold under different names in different cities. As I recall, it's called the Miyako Card in Kyoto.

Unlike the Suica card, it's not valid on JR trains, but it can be used on almost every other train in the area.
SUICA currently works on JR West lines, but not buses and subways. So, if you're using the 7 day JR Pass to ride JR lines, there's no reason to take your SUICA to Kansai. If you're not coming back to Tokyo, you'd better take the SUICA to a JR East counter (while you're still in the Tokyo area) and ask them to refund the deposit. (Deposit will be refunded in full, but there's a 210 yen charge to refund any remaining credit that may be on the card).

JR West issues an equivalent card to SUICA. The name of the card is ICOCA. As with SUICA, you can put money on the ICOCA card and use it to ride JR trains, subways, buses etc. in the Kansai region. (JR West has signed agreements with the subway companies and bus companies so that they can accept each others cards. I guess that JR East might eventually achieve the same thing for SUICA, but it hasn't happened yet). ICOCA will also allow you to ride JR East trains, but it won't work on Tokyo subways and buses.

You will also see a card called PiTaPa -- which is issued by subway companies. It will do pretty much the same as ICOCA in the Kansai region. (But I don't think it will work in Tokyo at all).

AFAIK, the Kansai Surutto Pass is a different kettle of fish. I'ts a "free pass", which is valid for two or three days. (Unlimited number of rides - but limited to certain lines).

The number of private railway and bus companies in the Kansai region can make things seem confusing to a first time visitor. However, AFAIK, you can ride almost any train, subway or bus in the region with an ICOCA card. I quite like having "far too much choice" in Kansai transportation. It's never hurt me yet.