FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I use a travel agent to book a cruise?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:25 pm
Doug 1029

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by upnorth
Thanks for your answers guys. Here is what I experienced. Travel agent fare was higher than the on-line quote. The travel agent agreed to match the on-line quote when informed and he said he was not aware of the drop in fares this early. I also had an on-line booking that I had made directly. I found some interesting facts. The options for the reservation through the travel agent are much less and no fares are quoted - e.g., for pre and post cruise land tours. The transfer option is also not available nor is the pricing when one books through the travel agent. Booking direct provides more choices and for those willing to do the research on their own making direct booking is a good choice.
I have found that the only time I would use a Travel Agent is if it is a group booking and the Agent is going to credit back the extra cabin value to the group as on board credits. I would stay away from any Agent that is willing to "match" or reduce their commission.

Last edited by Doug 1029; Jan 22, 2009 at 7:27 pm Reason: spelling