FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, Cancun [Master Thread]
Old Jan 15, 2009, 9:09 pm
Sagy
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AKronin
How was your actual stay? I'd be very interested to know...
Overall not bad.

It is a new building in a good location with clean rooms. The infinity pool is great (especially if you have kids). Most of the staff was nice and attentive. The timeshare people left us alone after we said that we are not interested.

The hotel has a "business center" with 6-8 PCs which is opened 24 hours a day and any guest can access for free the same is true for the workout room. There is also a small convenience store which can be useful.

We stayed at Studio rooms (3 rooms three people in each). Each room has a kitchen, we only took advantage of the refrigerator. I don't think that is enough room to have a dinner in the Studio room (unless you are alone), but this can be useful for snacks or breakfast. The room has a Queen bed and a pullout sofa (I think it is also a Queen). We had no problems with two adults and a child in each room, I think that anymore would be pushing it unless you only use the room for sleeping.

On the downside, food service at both the restaurant (for dinner) and at the pool side (for lunch) was extremely slow (even by local standards). We were the only ones at the restaurant (maybe we should have gotten the message), we had two waiters around us all the time but the food took forever to arrive. The meals at both the restaurant and pool side were more expensive than anywhere else we eat in Cancun. My advice, if you need something quick to eat, would be to go across the street - you will get better food, faster and you will pay less.

I'm probably in the minority, but other than the location, I liked the Westin Resort & Spa better.