FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA & Currency Control
View Single Post
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:31 am
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I have been giving this issue a lot of thought and research. I think what bugs me the most is not the fact that if you are carrying large sums of money a LEO may become involved but the fact that TSOs are being told that greater than $10k IS contraband and they "should" refer you to a LEO according to OD-400-54-2.

I think we all understand and agree that if a TSO (or anyone) sees something that constitutes a serious crime (felony) they must report it. If they don't they will be guilty of misprision of a felony, but does that extend to being compelled to report something that is legal but claimed to be contraband?

I have spent a good amount of time pondering this issue.

If a TSO referred a passenger to a LEO because the TSO felt the amount of money being carried was suspicious, I would be more forgiving. After all as good citizens we should report suspicious activity to the authorities.

If I see someone walking from a house carrying a TV and in my mind this is suspicious I should report it. If my life were run by the TSA I would compelled to report ANYONE carrying a TV even if I can see the delivery truck in the driveway.

$10k+ would be suspicious in some circumstances and not in others. If I am carrying $10k+ that would be suspicious, if Bill Gates were carrying $10k+ it would be pocket change.

In summary I really don't have a problem with a TSO having a REASONABLE suspicion about a large sum of money and involving a LEO, I have a huge problem with the TSA lying to the TSOs about $10k+ being contraband and forcing them to involve a LEO when there is NO reasonable suspicion.
TK, I agree with you up to a point. If a person was found to have money taped to their body I would be curious as to why. More investigation would be on order. I think that is what you were getting at. However, if a person was found to have a large amount of money in their briefcase or such I don't think it is any business of TSA or Police as to why barring some other indicator of wrong doing.

TSA has enough on its plate without getting into a dragnet checkpoint. And by all indications aren't very good at what they should be doing! Why complicate the issue with make work problems.

The real problem I have is that $10K cash is contraband as determined by TSA OD-400-54-2 . I believe that the directive stating such is faulty.