FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MR Newbie Q - what happens in bad weather?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:40 am
sofasurfer

Programs: rapidly diminishing
MR Newbie Q - what happens in bad weather?

Hi - I'm looking to do my first ever MR in early Feb:

BUF-ORD-STL-DEN-SAN-SFO-ORD-BUF ($220, 26 hour RT with a red-eye, all UA - no US segments ^)

My concern is this: what would happen if bad weather delays/cancels any of these segments? What options usually exist in these cases?

Some more info that might be helpful:

- right now, I don't have status to speak of (this MR is so I can get *S on BD, so I've got nothing except for a card that they might not have seen before, and an apparently cute accent )

- Each layover is about 90 mins (apart from STL which is 60 mins) which seemed to be the best I could manage, a couple of other options had much tighter connections in places.

- I could live flying with a shorter distance, as I only need about 1600 miles (but after lots of time playing with ITA, this seemed to be the best option in terms of time and cost)

Finally, before anyone suggests I wait until winter's over - this is pretty much the latest I can leave it, as my BD year expires a few days later. I have some idea of the potential craziness of this, as my in-laws used to live just outside BUF and I'm learning fast from local news and co-workers about lake effect snow! )

Thanks for any help and suggestions you may have