FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tipping the Front Desk Clerk for Upgrades
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:25 am
ElkeNorEast

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Having worked the front desk of many hotels throughout the years I can tell you that front desk clerks don't make a lot of money, they hold the key to your room in their hand and can make your stay wonderful or terrible with the stroke of their fingers on the keyboard.

Why not tip the front desk clerk? No one does; I watched bellmen counting wedges of cash while I got nothing. I would give people an upgrade to a suite and the dude who carried up their luggage would get a big fat tip as thanks! What about ME??

Here are some tips: be very nice to the clerk, ask them how they are while smiling, establishing eye contact and actually looking like you do care about how they are. Do not walk up and say "Reservation Smith" while throwing down your Amex. Engage them in conversation (if they seem up for it - most front desk clerks are actually very friendly and want to give good customer service). Tell them you appreciate a nice view, a little bit more room - most people don't say anything more than "non smoking." If you show you care about your room they will most likely try to accomodate you. Thank them genuinely when you leave the desk.

If you love your room stop by the desk again later, thank them personally for their efforts and give them a few bucks. Why not? They have worked to make sure you have a better stay.