FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lounge access update for Skywards Gold and Silver members
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:07 pm
eliotbeer

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
People complain that the lounges are too crowded, and then complain when Emirates do something about it.

It's not exactly miles to the old lounge, and it wasn't too bad a lounge.

Is the old F lounge still open?

Cheers,
Rick
It's not that they've done something about it - it's that they didn't plan ahead to eliminate the problem altogether.

It's about managing expectations, ultimately: prior to T3 opening, I (and I would imagine most other thinking EK pax) believed the lounge problem would be solved by the move to the new terminal, and larger, better-planned facilities. I put the problems down to Emirates' success, and kept my mouth shut accordingly.

Now we have T3 - and the problem hasn't gone away. The fact that Emirates shut off lounge privileges AFTER the T3 move demonstrates this is an emergency measure, and not a strategic decision.

(A strategic decision would have been to restrict access waaay back when lounge overcrowding first became a problem, and/or rejig Skywards tiers to allow an appropriate number of non-premium pax to have access.

Can I also point out that we now have the surreal situation of Gold members allowed into foreign lounges, but not DXB? Yeah, that's not a thought-through policy...)

My frustration with Emirates is not that they've made this decision, but that they've HAD to make this decision - and that there's no realistic way it can be reversed, without a major lounge rethink.

As for using T1 lounges, for me it's not an attractive option - I travel handbaggage 90% of the time, and while my bag's not large, it is heavyish, and I have no wish to wheel it 20-30 mins through the terminal, then 20-30 mins to the gate, for the benefit of fighting with a couple of hundred other Skywards members for a seat and the last dregs of orange juice.

I think this is definitely the time for a Platinum tier - if Gold is so popular they can't let them into the lounges, then it's time to rethink the whole programme. Just wish I had the slightest chance of getting on it - maybe next year...

Eliot