FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wiki posts in threads
View Single Post
Old Dec 3, 2008, 5:34 pm
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
FT Wiki Site vs. FT Wiki Post System

Originally Posted by rrgg
That's not what we're talking about. This has nothing to do with a Wiki website like that.

A Wiki post is usually the second post in a thread and anyone can edit it. It's a Wiki for the thread only.
I know exactly what you are talking about.

I visit SD and FW. Those two sites have the built-in wiki post system. Just visit the two sites and click on any thread. You should be able to see how wiki posts work. The wiki-enabled threads actually make updated info more accessible and updating more efficient. Posters can get a good collaborative summary from the 2nd post in a thread. Every active participant can edit/correct the info in the wiki post. The job of summarizing falls on every participants in say threads and wiki posts are built over the course of time.

Take the Presidential Coins thread in MilesBuzz! for example. If we have a wiki post, folks can learn which coin is out of stock (or available) again; how the carriers have been making delivery..etc, just by browsing the wiki post. If there's anything inaccurate info, I am sure FTers will jump in and fix the wrong in the wiki posts.

Granted not every FT threads need an embedded wiki post. The feature will only get "activated" when a wiki post is created. I don't know much about the software engineering and how different is the wiki post system from our current vBulletin. But I do think this will be an excellent add-on improvement.

I actually would like to know from the admin if the wiki post system is part of the software upgrade in the future. Can you guys comment on this suggestion? Will IB consider this wiki post feature?