FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cards that include “primary” auto rental CDW insurance
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:54 am
bobblevins

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Captain Mike
Here's the senario.......I have cancelled the collision and comprehensive coverages on our three older cars (2001, 2002, 2003) since the replacement value has gotten so low. I still maintain collision and comprehensive on our new car, a 2008. I always rent from Avis and never had a problem requiring a claim, and I use a Hilton Platinum Amex in my Avis profile to charge all rentals. So am I covered with my personal insurance in case of an accident based on the collision and comprehensive insurance remaining on our new car, or would I be relying on Amex to step in?
Mike, all AMEX cards only provide secondary coverage, meaning that they would require you to make a claim on your own insurance. If there was a deductible, they would pay it, or if there was no coverage, then they would cover the loss. But be aware that AMEX is not real anxious to pay and they may not pay loss-of-use or the administrative fee.

Not having to make a claim is why primary coverage is so desirable.