FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How much for a prepaid unlimited data in Europe
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:12 am
TheMadBrewer

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by mukulm
I'm in Germany for 2 weeks for a trade fair in Jan. I really cannot afford to pay Euro 50/- for daily broadband at the fairground and another 20-40 Euros for access at the hotel. Is there any way I can get a good Cellular Broadband Dongle for about Euro 100/- for the 2 weeks?? Do I have to produce residence permit or something for a cellular broadband connection in Germany?

Any ideas how I can broadband without haing to shell out over 500/- euros.
I did the following last summer:

1) bought an unlocked Sierra Wireless USB Modem on eBay for $130 or so.
2) Bought a CallYa Prepaid SIM at a Vodofone store when I got to Germany. Costs €20 with €10 credit.
3) Bought a Vodafone "Websessions" day pass for each day I wanted internet access at €4.95/day. This gives you up to 1GB bandwidth and it good for 24 hours. So if you start at 3:00pm it is good until 3:00pm the next day. You can use your credit card for this or deduct it from the time on the card.

I was in some fairly out of the way places (i.e. not always in a big city) and it worked fine. I wasn't doing much other than email and web browsing but I did have to Remote Desktop into a client's server a couple of times and it worked fine.

When I was in the Vodafone store they wanted a local address. I gave them my hotel and that was fine.

If you check on www.prepaidgsm.net there are some discussions of monthly flatrate access, but some of these are EDGE or even GPRS only and a bit slow.