FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to Get the Normal Arrow Cursor back on IE?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:40 pm
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
How to Get the Normal Arrow Cursor back on IE?

First things first. I don't "dress up" my cursor and turn it into say a cute kitty, fish, or something. I like it normal, just the plain and simple arrow that turns into a (white) pointing hand over a hyperlink. Yes, I like my cursor boring.

I use both IE and Firefox. In the last two weeks, my browsers start freezing up and sometimes becoming unresponsive (more on IE than FF) in the middle of a search or session for no obvious reason (that's another problem for another thread).

So, I decided to give Chrome a try and see if it would make a difference. I downloaded and installed Chrome this afternoon. After one of the reboots after software and antivirus updates, my cursor starts acting out. On both FF and Chrome, my cursor is still normal. I don't know why, but it only happens on IE. I don't think my laptop is infected since I can't find anything about this "open-hand cursor virus" in color.

This is what my cursor becomes on IE:
1. My IE cursor becomes an open hand all over the whole webpage.
2. The hand gesture doesn't change when it's over a hyperlink. Only when I click on a link, the normal white pointing hand will display for a split second.
3. The open hand is always in color, the same light beige color as the folder icon.
4. The beige open-hand cursor turns into a fist when I try to highlight a word/sentence/paragraph by left-clicking and holding the mouse over the text. I can only highlight either one word or the whole paragraph by double clicking the left button.
5. With me left-clicking and holding the mouse, the fist can move the webpage upwards and downwards, just like doing it with the mouse scrolling wheel. In other words, I can't copy and paste while on IE.
6. The open hand remains when I move it over to the right screen to drag the scrolling bar.
7. When I move it down to the task panel at the bottom, the normal white arrow cursor returns.

What happens to my IE cursor? I didn't download nor install any new mouse driver today. I didn't change my system's settings either.My OS is WP Pro but I doubt it matters.

What to do to get my "normal" IE cursor back? I really hate that colored open hand and fist.

Thanks!

ps. I am not ready to dump IE completely yet. So don't tell me "just get rid of it."