FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A little bit of help if you could spare a minute.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 4:00 am
asimperson

The only thing you have to worry about is that 38 minutes in DC to connect.

Anyway, let's address this in order.

1) Stop worrying. Lots of people fly everyday, and 99% do so without incident. In short, it's not a big deal.

I have e-tickets, which I have never had to read before. And, I think my main concern is where I have to go once I get to the airport. What I will have to do, and which gates I will have to go to. And, unless it is some crazy code unknown to people who do not fly, I can not find on my ticket(Or online) where it says which gate I will need to be at. Is there a way to find out where I need to go? And, will it be extremely confusing to find at 5:00 am?
I have looked online for maps of the airports, and from what I have seen, it doesn't look too bad. However, without knowing which gate I need to be at, I am still a bit worried about not finding it in the amount of time given.
If you really, really, really need to know in advance you can go to the airline's website and there should be a "flight status" box of some sort. Punch in your flight number for the first leg and it should have all the information there, and then you can repeat for the second. Airlines have blocks of gates at each airport they serve, so even if your gate changes (this is why it doesn't say on your ticket) the new gate will likely be somewhere near the old one unless you're flying to some huge hub. Even then, in every airport there are multiple screens with every departing flight in the near future with information about departure time, flight status, and the gate number. And if worse comes to worse, you can always ask the nearest gate agent (the people behind the desk at the gate).

Having my bags checked is something I am also worried about. Not because I am hiding anything, or would ever think of hiding anything. But because I am using this trip to move. I am only taking what I need, which is my clothing.... But I don't want to pack too heavily for fear of having to take everything out. I think I am going to just leave all the liquids and just buy them all when I get to Albany. Good idea? Or, will they not give me too much trouble if I pack my shampoo and conditioner, body wash and perfume?
Checked luggage has no liquid restrictions whatsoever. The most common item you are likely to have that cannot be checked is a laptop computer with a battery in it. For more information on what you can/cannot check or carry-on, visit your airline's website or www.tsa.gov.

Another thing I would like to know is will I have to have my bags rechecked in DC when getting ready for my next flight? If they don't have to be checked, will they be moved for me, or will I have to wait to get them?
No. Provided your flights are on itinerary (and unless you literally booked them separately, they are) your bags will be checked all the way through to Albany. You don't have to do anything.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful. I apologize for any surliness in advance, I'm pretty tired.