FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 12: OMNI
View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:29 am
squeakr
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I like OMNI.

I have gone back and forth - there have been extended periods of time in the past when I've given up reading or posting there; there have been times when I had burning non-travel questions that OMNI-ites were happy to answer. I am not a regular poster but I am a pretty regular reader.

A few points come to mind:
- IMHO OMNI works best with consistent moderation coupled with an openness policy around topics. The times I have been least interested and I think it's been detrimental to the FT experience have been those times when there was no or very inconsistent moderation to keep out the most egregious of flame wars.
- I support keeping it divided between politics/religion and Other. When I want to ask a q. about car maintenance it's easier not to have to dip into a number of threads about Palin's glasses. (Which is kind of true in every forum - we may all like to visit the topics near and dear to us and skip the rest, but it's particularly relevant on OMNI.)
- I support a return to a minimum post count to post on OMNI but I am guessing that's not gonna happen. My further guess is that this change is just as IB-driven as Randy-driven.

I like OMNI and support its continued existence in its current two headed form, but I'd still support it if the two sub forums were merged back.