FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 12: OMNI
View Single Post
Old Nov 4, 2008, 5:59 pm
peteropny
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

1. I think that OMNI has a place on Flyertalk - it provides a place for people to discuss (and get advice) subjects that do not belong in the "core" part of Flyertalk (miles & points) or for that matter some of the Travel forums (like GLBT). It also "keeps" people on Flyertalk especially the more "experienced" members who may have learned most of the intricacies of their program of choice already. However, the drawback is that sometimes the antagonism between individuals that start in OMNI . I look at OMNI fairly often but only post occasionally and very rarely in the Political / Religious threads before the split.

2. Elimination of post counts in OMNI - I fully support this since the OWOT (OMNI Waste of Time) threads such as counting up / down were being abused by some individuals (some post like 100 times in a row) simply to post count. I'd support some modification of this if it comes up like splitting off the OWOT threads in to a separate forum like the PR ones.

3. Splitting off OMNI into OMNI and Political Religious forums - Good idea since this provides a place for members to discuss and get advice on the non-controversial subjects separate from the controversial issues.

4. Totally opening up OMNI - I'm not really in favor of this change since it opens up the forum to people who have no interest in the core of Flyertalk (miles & points) and spammers (I've seen a couple of spammers already). Also, some degree of privacy is lost by opening it up to even lurkers. I would support a lower threshold for the forum (perhaps 30 days / 30 posts?).