FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 12: OMNI
View Single Post
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:17 pm
phillipas

Of my 1,389 posts - the grand total of 3 have been in the OMNI forum. It's fair to say I'm not an OMNIite.

Overall I have no problem with it's existance - indeed an 'off-topic' forum is pretty standard on most message boards. How positive it is - I guess it's good for the 'community' side of things and it's a place for people to let off steam.

The obvious dangers are that these OT forums can be rather crazy places at times, bad feelings can develop and the OT forum can become the main attraction for both posters and newbies. If care isn't taken they can have a bad effect on the ON-topic side of things.

Key things to remember are that:

1 - whilst OMNI is important to some, for many it's just another forum they don't look at. 2 - the initial draw to FT is best remaining as miles and points - hence I support minimum posting requirements and say 180/180 is about right. And yes - I'm aware that's now been changed.
3 - the continuing draw to FT should really maintain a link to miles and points. The community side of things might be important to some - but if that interest in the miles and points side of things isn't then this place starts to become nothing but a social networking site.

As to the political/religious threads being split off - they're both topics with plenty of potential for 'rather vociferous' debate. There's a lot to be said for having them split off!