FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice regarding Per Diem travel allowance
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:19 am
dotty

Programs: QF Plat - LT Gold, SQ Silver, Hertz 5 Star
It varies - some pay actuals, some pay per diem

Originally Posted by Roger That
Hi QFF forum,

I have recently started working for a company that pays no Per Diem travel allowances, even for lengthy (3 weeks+) overseas assignments. They pay for hotels and expenses of course.

Is this something that is common in the corporate world, or would I have a strong case in arguing for a change in the company policy?
I've worked for companies that paid actual expenses before - you just need to make sure you get a receipt for everything (and then waste a full day doing your expenses when you get back) - you should check if they have a limit on how much you can expensed each day. A colleague who was being paid actuals used it to his advantage and often ate at VERY expensive restaurants - unlike what he does now working in my current company. My current company pays per diems which varies in amount depending on which country(or even city in some cases).

So - depending on how you look at it, actuals (while more of a hassle to claim later) can allow you to eat better, but per diems can allow you to make a bit of extra cash for yourself if you eat frugally.

I assmuming from your post that your company will pay actual expenses rather than not cover your costs at all.

Last edited by dotty; Oct 1, 2008 at 7:22 am Reason: spelling error