FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta cancelled flight, won't refund
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:16 pm
StayingHomeIsBetter
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by SB1k
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Delta's CoC sure is vague in this area. Rule 240-C-2 says "you MAY be entitled to a refund", not "ARE", and doesn't clarify when 240-C-2 applies versus 240-C-1, which says that they'll transport you on their next available flight.

Delta's holding tight to 240-C-1, even when their next flight isn't until the next day.

So can the customer choose between 240-C-1 and 240-C-2, or is that Delta's choice? It seems subject to interpretation. There's no verbage in favor of the customer.

-Tom
Based upon that DL-centric interpretation, they could tell you that you are compelled to take a flight two days later, with three connections, and you have no choice... unless you want to lose your fare (a bit of hyperbole, I admit, but less incredible day by day).

I have had situations where, had my flight canceled, the next available flight would have brought me to my destination long after the need to make the trip no longer existed.

I was lectured under another thread by an airline apologist who was preaching on the sanctity of the CoC's ("terms and conditions" in his post).

Perhaps this is another example illustrating how the CoC's are written by the airline for the airline's benefit... with no one representing the rights of the Pax.

Which may be one reason the lawyer in this post took the approach he did:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866521