FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United VISA: "You will forefit all of your united miles if you cancel"
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:04 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your Chase card is LESS than 6 months old, yes, you would lose the 25K bonus given to you. Chase can and does, deduct 25K from your UA account. I do not know if you have 0 bal what would happen. I do know that 25K can be deducted from your UA account by fact. I also read about some posts about your UA account can go into negative balance and UA could make you purchase miles to make it up - this part I dont have solid fact to verify the info.

If your Chase card is older than 6 months, then all you might lose, would be the UA miles earned before statement close date. Of course I dont think anyone would be dumb enough to close a reward card before the reward earning is posted to the corresponding account.

However, Chase does enforce the 6 month clause, rather randomly.

Originally Posted by tmapian
I finally cancelled my Chase United Mileage Plus Visa card today after milking it for all it was worth- and had a rather strange exchange with the cancellation supervisor. Keep in mind - I've drained my Mileage plus account down to < 10, however, about half of the miles earned were from VISA, the other half actual flown miles. The conversation went something like this:

tmapian: I'd like to cancel my card
Supervisor: Are you aware that by cancelling your Chase card you will be forefiting all of your United Mileage Plus miles? Your account will be closed and you will have no access to your miles.
tmapian: Um, that's not true. I've flown numerous times this year and credited those to my account, and Chase can't touch those
Supervisor: (in a angry tone) Sir, I've been a Chase supervisor for over 18 years, don't you proceed to tell me my business. You will lose all your miles, case closed. When you signed up for the card you agreed to this, and I can fax you the highlighted terms and conditions if you want"
tmapian: Yea, just cancel my card.

I literally have less than 5 miles left in my Mileage Plus account, so I really don't care if they do "take all my miles"- however, I find it hard to believe that they can actually do this - especially with BIS miles. Thoughts?