FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:00 am
WalruSara

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Putt4eagle
This post saddens me... breaks my heart, actually. I don't know what happened to us. We... blue states, red states... Yankee fans, Red Sox fans.. pro-life, choice, black & white, ... weeee were so together the days following the horrible events of 9-11. We watched our POTUS climb on top of the debris pile with that fireman and talk through that bull horn. "and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear from all of us soon." I remember thinking we are on the verge of next "greatest generation". We weren't. We are not "we" anymore. This country is groups of "us" and "them" again. How did we get here?

And please.... before you reply with your political view, right or left, stop. I don't want to hear your opinion. I am an intelligent person. I read the papers, watch the news. You people who have to constantly score political points insult my intelligence. You offend me. I will make up my own mind about the people who run this country and cast my vote accordingly. It was a rhetorical question. I just thought the Bush/bin Ladin reference made in this post was the kind of cheap shot that has reduced us to the bickering a-holes we have become. We could have been like our grandfathers... the greatest generation. But we didn't. We all collectively have failed our children. That is sad... so sad.

^^^^^^^^^

Well said, OP.

My mother and colleagues were on a flight from Texas to New Yrok that was turned around and grounded on 9/11. Your words capture so much of what I imagine she went through. At the time, I was in school on the West Coast, and I had no idea what sort of horror was unfolding.

You are a terrific writer... and a very sensible person, too.