American Airlines’ goal was to roll out Basic Economy nationwide by the end of September, and it seems that they are running ahead of schedule. As of the morning of September 5, 2017, AA has rolled out Basic Economy to every domestic route.
What does this mean for you? If you want to have the same travel experience on AA, you’ll have to shell out more cash. If you don’t, you’ll be restricted in a number of ways.
- Elites aren’t eligible for upgrades when booked in Basic Economy
- Basic Economy customers are last to board the plane
- No carry on bag allowed – only a personal item
- No same day changes, refunds, or standby flying
- Seat assignments available at checkin or 48 hours ahead of time for an extra charge
- No reaccommodation on other airlines in the case of mechanical delays/cancellations