Uncategorized

Air Canada Blamed for Causing Toddler to Wet Herself

Air Canada Blamed for Causing Toddler to Wet Herself
Jeff Edwards

An irate grandmother says that a flight attendant’s stubborn refusal to allow a two-year-old to use the lavatory resulted in a long urine-soaked flight for the young child.

Stacy Osmond says that an Air Canada ticket agent was trying to do her and her nearly three-year-old granddaughter Ruby a favor by assigning them seats near the business class lavatory during their recent flight from Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ) to Calgary International Airport (YYC). Unfortunately, the doting grandmother claims that a less-than-understanding cabin crew member barred the youngster from the toilet, soon resulting in tears and wet pants.

“The second or third time I tried to take Ruby to the bathroom, the flight attendant told me, ‘I can’t have you coming up here anymore,’” Osmond told Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) News. “I said, ‘She’s a baby. I was given those seats by a booking agent for that reason, so that she would be close to the bathroom.’ She said, ‘That doesn’t matter, you are not to come up here.’”

While it seems that, by her own admission, the trips from the economy class cabin to the business class lavatory were becoming fairly frequent by the time the flight attendant put her foot down, Osmond says that the aft restroom was blocked by a beverage cart at one point, leaving the little girl all out of options.

“We’re in contact with our customer about this regrettable incident,” Air Canada spokesperson Angela Mah told CBC news in a statement. “We have no further comment,”

Osmond told reporters that the airline offered her a travel voucher, a discount on a future booking and even some toys for Ruby as an apology. The upset grandmother, however, says she is holding out for an apology from the crew member who created the unpleasant situation in the first place.

“I don’t blame an entire airline for one flight attendant,” Osmond explained. “This was the first time I experienced such hostility.”

While a bathroom accident is humiliating for a passenger of any age, young Ruby is not alone when it comes to ending up on the wrong side of airlines’ ever-stricter lavatory rules. In March, an 87-year-old passenger says she found herself in an uncomfortable remarkably similar situation as Ruby on a British Airways flight from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) to London Heathrow Airport (LHR). Weeks later, Delta Airlines returned to the gate to remove a passenger who had no choice but to ignore instructions and make an emergency dash to the lavatory following a lengthy ground delay at Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL).

1. drvannostren

June 20, 2017 at 12:42 am

I’m not sure why the booking agent thought this was a good idea.

Why not book them near the rear lav? I appreciate the extra effort from the agent, but you have to know there’s a chance this happens.

2. Dubiox

June 20, 2017 at 8:51 am

Rules are rules. If you can’t follow them then don’t fly. Or pay for business class if you want to use business class amenities. Seems so simple.

3. chavala

June 20, 2017 at 9:05 am

Put a diaper on the kid! Why do people think it’s OK to use the FC lav ?

4. Sssatin

June 22, 2017 at 1:40 pm

It’s time people started taking responsibility for stuff. All you had to do grandma was tell the kid the truth – that sometimes to keep you safe the pilot says you can’t get out of your seat. For that reason little darling you’re going to wear a pull-up on the plane just in case you can’t get to the bathroom in time you’re protected. Not doing something like that is tantamount to child abuse in my opinion. Grandma you’re a moron!

5. rjlon

June 22, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Why do some people think the rules do not apply to them? They bought tickets not the airline. Why should they use the First Bathroom repeatedly? Ask to be swapped with pax seated near Coach Bathrooms,

6. HomerJay

June 22, 2017 at 3:27 pm

The Coach Class people should remain in coach class. That’s why God created coach class. But I’ve seen worse.

Years ago, CO 404 POP-EWR, I was the only passenger in first class, sitting in my aisle seat, about to eat my dinner when some mamacita came up from coach and plopped her little one on the floor in the middle of the aisle next to be and began to change the little darling’s badly soiled diaper. Needless to say, I turned away from my chicken in brown sauce meal and began ringing the call button more quickly and repeatedly than ever before or ever since. The flight attendant scolded the woman and told her to get back where she belonged.

There are reasons people pay to sit up front. And one is to keep the coach class people – and their toilet habits – behind the curtain where they belong.

7. Kaj4

June 22, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Why would the granddaughter need to use the lavatory so frequently? Why didn’t the grandmother have her in diapers – that is just common sense!! If the grandmother was trying to toilet train the girl on an airplane, the grandmother needs to do a lot of basic reading on toilet training. I don’t think the grandmother knew what she was doing – very inexperienced flyer.

8. brobin

June 22, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Want to use the FC lav? Simple. Buy a FC ticket! ‘nough said.

9. skeena1

June 22, 2017 at 5:59 pm

The ticket agent told her it would be ok – thus she had every right to think it was. The elitism and snobbery in the thread is incredible.

10. merali

June 22, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Come on now! I could understand the outrage if an adult was repeatedly going up to the biz lavatory…but it was a 2 year old child! Probably just recently potty trained at that. This was a 5 and a half hour flight. That’s a long flight for a young child… Maybe grandma should have put the kid in diapers, but she didn’t. Common sense or not, seeing as how the drinks cart was blocking the aisle, and this was clearly an emergency, I probably would have just let the kid use the toilet. Breaking with the rigid social hierarchy to avoid an accident and the subsequent stench/screaming child seems pretty reasonable to me. It’s a reasonable concession to make the journey a little more pleasant for everyone else. People seem to forget that economy passengers are human beings too, and deserve some dignity even if they couldn’t afford business class. I don’t want my business/first class experience to come at the expense of the well being of a fellow passenger.

11. Morgacj2004

June 22, 2017 at 6:31 pm

I am really disturbed by some of the comments on this forum. Obviously a lot of you have never raised a kid. Two year olds have a small bladder and simply cannot wait As a frequent flier I would have no problem with a child needing to use the lavatory in Business or First Class where I frequently sit. This is another example of an uneducated, rude flight attendant who is on a power trip!

12. Tyrolean

June 22, 2017 at 10:33 pm

My kids did wear diapers on the flight and we did not make a fuss about it. That was just taking out the pressure of traveling. A plane is not a place for toilet training. Then again, kids wet their pants, the pants can be washed and dry. Nothing to make such a fuss!

13. amnicoll

June 23, 2017 at 1:35 am

I bet if grandmother had paid for the premium cabin she would be moaning if people from Economy were using the toilet.

quite frankly to allow the little girl to use the toilet was a good gesture on the part of the airline but there is such a thing as abusing a favor

14. wanderer35

June 23, 2017 at 3:01 am

With the airlines making all kinds of “amends” for incidents where people were breaking the rules, chaos is surely apporaching.

Just yesterday I was flying LOT 26 from WAW to JFK.
    Period of turbulence. Seat belt sign on. Yet people kept standing, going to the bathroom, opening the overhead bins and fiddling with carry-ons, etc. Not just a couple of people, but quite a few.
    Flight attendants did nothing about it.

15. wanderer35

June 23, 2017 at 3:13 am

Subheading if article is misleading:

” … to allow a two-year-old to use the lavatory …”

BUSINESS CLASS lavatory, since she was flying economy.

Also, I find it hard to believe that the ticket agent would have told her she could use the BC bathroom when flying economy.
    I do not know what aircraft they were flying, but in most cases no matter how close your economy seat is to BC, the walk is still longer to the BC lavatory than that from an economy seat near the economy section lavatory.

16. weero

weero

June 23, 2017 at 7:57 pm

“..ticket agent was trying to do her and her nearly three-year-old granddaughter Ruby a favor by assigning them seats near the business class lavatory..”
    No way that is what has happened – Stacy is lying through her teeth.

The agent may have assigned her a seat further up in coach but certainly not the access to the Biz cabin.

Big thumbs down to Air Canada for giving those people a voucher! Don’t breed that culture of entitlement and “da rulz are not for us” attitudes.